All bookings are accepted on the following terms:
Care & Use of Owl Cottage
1. Owl Cottage is our personal holiday home. We want you to enjoy your holiday and we want you to feel like our home is a ‘home from home’ for you. Therefore we ask that you look after it well and treat our home with the love and care it deserves!
2. You are obliged to keep Owl Cottage, its contents and gardens in the same state of cleanliness, repair & condition as they were at the start of your holiday and you are responsible for any damage. At the end of your stay we don’t expect you to scrub or mop floors, but we do expect you to empty the bins (details in Owl Cottage Guide), leave the loo clean & unblocked and not leave a sink full of dishes!
3. You are obliged to keep Owl Cottage and outbuildings secure & locked (where locks are provided) when unoccupied.
4. Smoking is not allowed at Owl Cottage or within its gardens.
5. Apologies, but no pets are allowed at Owl Cottage.
6. During the period of the holiday, the holiday leader must ensure that the people occupying the property are those named on the booking form and that the property is used solely for the purpose of a holiday by the holiday leader and their party. The maximum number of people allowed to stay at the property is 5 plus a baby and must not be exceeded without our consent.
7. All power, heating charges, bed linen and house towels are included in the rental charge.
8. Logs & coal for use in the wood burner are complementary.
9. Wi-Fi and calls to landlines in UK are free.
10. Telephone calls from the Owl cottage landline to mobiles will be charged for and monies deducted from the ‘good housekeeping’ deposit.
11. A guide to Owl Cottage is provided at the cottage with all the information found on the website and also other important practical information about appliances, bin collections etc.
12. Breakages and accidents happen, but we would like you to let us know as soon as possible if anything has been damaged, so that we can sort before either we are staying there or ahead of the next group of holiday makers arriving.
13. There is a ‘good house keeping deposit’ of £100, which is returnable within 14 days of the end of your stay, from which we would deduct costs for significant breakages and damage. If the costs were greater than this deposit then we would discuss this with you and raise an appropriate invoice.
14. We have a large number of books, which our family has collected over the years, which you are most welcome to read, but we simply ask you to look after them and not take them away with you at the end of your stay. Similarly none of the other contents of the cottage or gardens should be taken away with you at the end of your holiday.
15. Being a good neighbour: You must ensure that nothing happens which may cause a nuisance or inconvenience to our neighbours or adversely affect any insurance of Owl Cottage. This includes, but is not exclusive to: no obstruction of the lane to the neighbouring working farm or of the gate to the farmer’s field opposite Owl Cottage and behaving in a responsible manner towards the farmer’s livestock and local wildlife and habitat. The large front walled garden is divided into 6 strips, one for each cottage. The strip on the far left belongs to Owl Cottage and is currently accessed through the middle gate. Please be aware the the other gardens belong to the neighbouring cottages.
16. Without being unreasonable, if, in our opinion, your behaviour at Owl Cottage falls below an acceptable level or is causing a nuisance to neighbours we reserve the right to cancel the remainder of your holiday with immediate effect. In the unlikely event that this were to happen, you would be responsible for any cancellation charges and no refund would be made.
17. There is parking for a maximum of 2 cars opposite Owl Cottage. Visitors are welcome to Owl Cottage during your stay, but they must be made aware of the parking requirements and not cause any inconvenience to our neighbours.
Booking and payment
18. A booking is provisional until the non-refundable deposit of £100 is made via PayPal or is in our bank account either via BACs transfer or via cheque and you have received confirmation from us. Bookings are held for one week to allow for cheques to arrive and to be processed.
19. The owners reserve the right to refuse or revoke any bookings from any parties which in their opinion are unsuitable for the property.
20. Details for BACs on-line payments are as follows:
Sort Code: 40-34-18
Account Number: 24246136
Please put the start date of your holiday (ddmmyyyy) as your reference.
21. Cheques are made payable to: Mr. Kieran Baldwin & Dr. Kate Cushing.
22. The balance of the payment for your holiday rental is due 6 weeks before the start of your holiday rental.
23. Payment in full is required for bookings made 6 weeks or less before the start of your holiday.
24. Bookings are from Saturday to Saturday for whole week stays. The holiday let at Owl Cottage starts at 4.00 pm on your day of arrival and ends at 10.00am on the day of departure, unless by prior agreement.
25. Mid week breaks are from Monday 4 pm until Friday 10 am. Weekends can sometimes be available if we are not using the cottage ourselves and so it is worth checking with us about possible available weekend stays. These could start potentially from 8pm Friday evening or 9 am Saturday through to 5 pm Sunday evening, depending on what bookings we have either side of the weekend. We can be more flexible in ‘off peak’ times of the year.
26. If you are staying for 2 weeks, we will come in to clean at the end of week one, unless you would prefer not to have this done, in which case we will deduct £75 from the total cost of your holiday.
27. Key codes will be provided one week before the commencement of your holiday.
Change of Dates
28. The dates of the booking may only be altered if the property is available for the new dates and assuming that the start of the original booking is more than 6 weeks in advance.
29. We do not offer holiday insurance. We would advise you to have your own holiday cancellation and insurance policy.
30. If for any reason you need to cancel your booking of Owl Cottage, please let us know ASAP. A cancellation charge, as detailed below, will be due.
31. If cancellation is more than 6 weeks until the start of your holiday, we will cancel your booking and there will be no charge apart from the non-refundable deposit of £100.
32. In the event of you cancelling 6 weeks or less from the start date of your holiday we would obviously try to re-let Owl Cottage, and if successful then your payment, less your non-refundable deposit of £100 and an administrative charge of £25, would be returned to you. If we were unable to re-let, then you would be responsible for the full amount of the holiday costs.
|Number of weeks before start of holiday||Cancellation charge|
|More than 6 weeks||Non-refundable deposit of £100|
|6 weeks or less||Full cost of holiday (unless re-let in which case charge is £125)|
The ‘good housekeeping deposit’ of £100 will be refunded to you in all cases.
33. Changes to your holiday by us: In the unfortunate and unlikely event that we have to make changes to or cancel your booking of Owl Cottage (for example if the property were suffering from damage that required immediate repair) we will refund all payments we have
received from you, including the booking deposit for your holiday.
34. If we are prevented, hindered or delayed from or in performing any of our obligations as a result of any event that is beyond our reasonable control, we shall not be liable for any cancellation or change that is necessary. This will include acts of God, war, terrorism, fire, adverse weather conditions, floods and natural disasters, which could not have been avoided. This will need to be covered by your own insurance.
35. You will permit us (and/or our approved workmen or others) at reasonable times and on reasonable notice to enter and if necessary repair the property, or to enter the property without notice in an emergency to repair the cottage. We request that you leave a key in the key safe when you leave the property. This will enable approved workmen to access Owl Cottage if necessary and keeps the key safe!
36. We may need to pop up to Owl Cottage occasionally to tend to our vegetable/fruit patches/garden, especially in hot weather, but we would not enter the cottage and we would try to let you know in advance if we were coming to see to the gardens.
37. Guests must accept responsibility for their own and their children’s safety. No assurance can be provided as to the safety or suitability of Owl cottage for you or your children. You are responsible for supervising your children (or other members of your party who may not be able to identify risks themselves) particularly with regard to proximity of roads, stairs, glass doors, windows, wood burner, trampoline and BBQ equipment. Baby & play equipment, trampoline, games, safety equipment, foodstuffs and cleaning materials/toiletries provided at Owl Cottage are used at your own risk.
38. We will take complaints seriously and welcome any suggestions/feedback. If there is an issue please contact us during your stay so we can try and resolve the matter while you are on holiday. We cannot accept responsibility for happenings outside of our reasonable control such as breakdowns of domestic appliances or damage resulting from exceptional weather conditions, acts of God, fire, natural disasters, war or terrorism. We would, of course, try to minimize any disruption and would ask that you contact us in an emergency.
39. Data protection and privacy: all personal information given to us will be treated in confidence and will not be disclosed to third parties. Your booking will be kept on file, for our records, but bank details will not be disclosed to third parties.
40. These conditions shall be deemed to have been accepted by you at the time you complete the booking form.